HOOD RIVER ➞ PARKDALE
All excursions, dining trains and special events originate in Hood River which is in the heart of the Columbia River Gorge scenic area. Located in the historic downtown district, the depot neighbors restaurants, coffee houses, wineries/breweries and shopping.
The depot at Hood River is the Mount Hood Railroad’s base of operations. The depot includes the will call window, ticketing, a gift shop, restrooms and train boarding. Passenger vehicle, bus and RV parking is on site.
HISTORY OF THE HOOD RIVER DEPOT
Built in 1911, this fine example of Craftsman style architecture is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The pride of the Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Company that had merged its lines with the Union Pacific Railroad in 1910, it was reincarnated as the Mount Hood Railroad Depot in 1987.
The end of the line is Clear Creek Station at the intersection of Baseline Drive and Clear Creek Road in Parkdale. The park setting includes a large grassy area, picnic tables, a small amphitheater and historic exhibits. Nearby are Parkdale Grange, the Hutson Museum, Solera Brewery, Alabama Jim’s Long Shot Restaurant and Apple Valley BBQ.
Mount Hood Railroad came to this upper valley town in 1910 to bring lumber used to construct the original McIsaac’s Store. The old store is gone, but its replacement is close to the tracks and still carries the varied stock of an old-time general store.